Monday, April 13, 2009

ODesk Took my Morning Away!

I have been pretty busy with my email the whole morning - just imagine 200+ emails for the span of 4 days! (okay, so I was exaggeratedly surprised since it's really not THAT many...) Most of these were from Twitter and SocialToo.

Anyway, I noticed some intriguing emails, and the from section said it came from ODesk. I was supposedly due for an interview last April 9, but since it was the holidays, I wasn't able to send a reply. The next email that came in was still from ODesk, and it was directly from John, the buyer, saying that I have been hired already, and that I can start as soon as possible. Cool, huh?

Speaking of ODesk, or blogging of ODesk (harhar!), I have received a comment/question about it several weeks ago and I think it's about time to post an answer that, but first, here's the comment:

"Sharkbytes said...

I'm curious to hear how ODesk goes. I signed up, but haven't taken any assignements yet.
"


To answer some basic questions,

WHAT IS ODESK?
ODesk is an online community where the providers, or in my case - the blogger, and the buyers or those who need bloggers/writers, meet in a secure and safe online environment, where every transaction is legal and hassle free.

WHY ODESK?
Because it's professional and formal. ODesk discourages transactions between the buyer and providers outside of the online community for the protection of both parties. The Terms and Conditions are favorable to both the buyer and provider and ensures that no one gets the better end of the deal. For additional information, you can read the policies of ODesk right here.

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE WE GET PAID?
There is a heading right beside the job advertisement/post on whether the payment method of the service buyer is already verified by ODesk. If it's verified, then much better. Also, it has the ODesk Team Client App which ensures that all the hours spent on working on the job/assignment are properly logged and noted. You can even review your logged hours and add/delete offline hours. They also have several choices with regards to form of payment. For a more elaborate explanation, see The Lady Programmer's blog post here.

HOW MUCH CAN WE GET PAID FOR SERVICES PROVIDED?
The average offer is about $2 for a 100-250 word article, or it can go up to a whopping $5,000 for ghostwriting one bibliography!

ARE THERE QUALIFICATIONS TO JOIN ODESK?
For joining ODesk itself, there are no qualifications, anyone can sign up! But to be able to get assignments or jobs, a provider should be "ODesk Ready" and additional tests provided by the buyers for additional skills certifications are also in the ODesk site. For additional tips and elaborations on how to land your first job in ODesk, see this post right here.

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?
To be a certified ODesk service provider, you can click on this link to be taken directly to the ODesk site. Don't forget to read the terms and conditions too!

HAVE I HAD ASSIGNMENTS LATELY?
Of course, I actually just got hired to be a social media marketer, as mentioned earlier on this post, and I can earn about $2/hour. Not too heavy work, not too shabby pay. Right?

Nothing to do this summer? Why not join ODesk now and start earning! Or if you're looking for freelancers, register as a buyer and post job openings for free, just click right here and start posting or search for providers all over the globe!

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk


On a side note:
Don't forget to Bookmark or Share this to your friends and family, or subscribe to The Blue Speckled Diary by Email for free updates!


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got a job in oDesk. Thanks for thinking that my posts are useful.

    As you gain enough experience you can post the hourly rate that you want to have. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by!

Hi, Still Alive. How’re you?

 So I decided to visit my blog. Just because. And of course, since I didn’t delete it, it’s still here. Stagnant. Just observing. Doing noth...